Small Talk

Tainted candy

October 28th, 2015

As my daughter gets ready for another year of Halloween trick-or-treating, I recall a frightening story I heard last year about a dog who ate tainted candy.

IMG_4290

Lucky, a 9 year old Yorkie, was a victim of  tainted Halloween candy. In 2013, his owner Kellie was walking him around Kapahulu on the night of October 31, when unbeknownst to her, Lucky ate a piece of candy off the ground.

Kellie

Kellie

When they got home, he started having seizures, so at first, Kellie thought it was a reaction to having eaten chocolate, which is bad for dogs. When she took Lucky to the vet, however, they found he had actually eaten a sewing needle, which went straight up through the roof of his mouth and into his brain. Apparently, the needle was embedded inside the chocolate.

Needle visible in these x-rays

Needle visible in these x-rays

IMG_4317

"I saw a piece of sewing thread sticking out of the roof of his mouth," describes Dr. John Kaya, DVM. He pulled it out. I'm happy to say the dog has fully recovered - living up to his name.

What a somber reminder to check your children's Halloween candy - and perhaps not to walk your dog on this night!

3 Responses to “Tainted candy”

  1. Tita Girl:

    Lucky was very Lucky.and especially blessed because his human acted quickly.Big shout out to Dr. Kaya.


  2. Kurt:

    Lucky is adorable! So glad he was okay.

    Note, though, that tainted Halloween candy is an urban myth. The only documented case of a person dying from eating Halloween candy was the case of Timothy O’Bryan, and unfortunately, it was his father who poisoned him for the insurance money. As for pins and needles in candy, since 1959 there have been only ten documented incidents of sharp objects in Halloween candy, and they caused only minor injury. More here: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp

    It's more likely that the needle was on the ground and Lucky accidentally ate it.


  3. Diane Ako:

    Good point. Still scary for the dog though, huh?


Leave a Reply

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Archives