By Diane Ako
The McCully-Moiliili Public Library will host its Fifth Annual Mini Con on Saturday, September 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Auditorium. The public is invited to attend this free event to meet talented local artists and receive some of their cool artwork.
Artists headlining the Fifth Annual Mini Con include:
* Audra Furuichi, creator of nemu*nemu, a webcomic about a pair of stuffed pups that come to life and enjoy everyday adventures, and the comic strip "Blue Hawaii" featured in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser
* Jon J. Murakami, creator of "Gordon Rider," the worst Hawaii superhero ever, and the comic strip "Calabash," which also appears in the Star-Advertiser. Murakami is also known for illustrating several picture books and his local-style greeting cards.
* Kevin Sano, a graphic designer who specializes in t-shirt motifs using felt tip pens and Japanese character artwork such as Kikaida and Kamen Rider.
* "Hachi Maru Hachi" artists and writers will showcase their anthology featuring illustrated and prose works.
* Brady Evans will conduct an art demonstration at noon, and organize drawing games throughout the event.
* Hawaiian Graphics, a new sponsor this year, will offer valuable coupons and display various sketching pens and pencils for interested participants to try out.
"It's hard to believe it's been five years since the first Mini Con," said Murakami. "We're always happy for this chance to talk with our existing fans and meet new ones, as well."
Furuichi, who - like Murakami- has participated in every Mini Con said, "Despite being a small event tucked away in the McCully-Moiliili Public Library, the crowds of attendees have been super supportive throughout the years. It's always a highlight to work with the Library staff and I look forward to Mini Con year after year!"
This year, new books published by Murakami "Gecko One and Gecko Two" and Furuichi's "Blue Hawaii" comic strips collection will be available for purchase from the Friends of the McCully-Moiliili Public Library.
In addition, the Library will screen a variety of animation films at the event and offer free bookmarks and pencils. Cosplay is encouraged; participants who dress in costume will receive a special prize.
The Friends of the McCully-Moiliili Public Library, Collector Maniacs, Hawaiian Graphics, and Ross Dress for Less-King Street Store are sponsoring the Fifth Annual Mini Con which is suitable for ages nine and older. Young children must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver.
Contact the Library as soon as possible if a sign language interpreter or other special accommodation is needed.
McCully-Moiliili Public Library is located at 2211 South King Street. For more information, please call the Library at 973-1099.